Monday, January 17, 2011

No Thanks Cable Guy

Don't even get me started on cable. Cable company's should be thrown in jail for as much as they charge and for so little in return. For years my wife and I were paying premium pricing for all the latest and greatest, hundreds of channels, DVR, and HD TV.  This monthly bill was about $160. Then one day I was reading an article about online TV and the cost savings it has, an article somewhat like this blog and realized just how much money we were throwing away.  We would watch all the major sitcoms in the winter months but especially in the summer we were never watching TV.

Why pay all that money for cable when we don't have to?

One day I talked to my wife and said we are going to do an experiment.  She gave me that "now what" look and I told her what I read about and that we're going to hook the computer up to the TV to watch all of our shows. The great wife that she is she played along. The rule was we we're not allowed to turn on cable at any point through our 3 month experiment.  So as time went by we watched all of our shows on Hulu.com (free), we found a site that played current and old movies, shows, and some live TV (Veetle.com and also free). Before you know it we were cancelling all of our cable with a savings of $100 a month or $1,200 a year.   If it's not free or on the Internet, we don't need to watch it. 

Challenge yourself to try this and think about what you are going to do with all that extra cash. (save it I hope) and say No Thanks Cable Guy the next time they call to suck you back in.

Sites I recommend are:

Hulu.com
Veetle.com

I will also have to say that it's recommended to have high speed cable Internet.

If anyone has any other recommendations please share the wealth and post it for us.

Happy Savings!

Dustin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers