Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ground Zero

I guess the first thing you want to ask yourself is: Why do I want to have money? 

Seems like a silly question right? I believe this simple question is the root of all motivation to saving, by defining your needs or wants you will have a better understanding of the value of every dollar you have saved.

When I was first introduced into the "realities" of life I had no idea what it was like to have any type of wealth or money in the bank. I refer to that as "Ground Zero" of personal finance, that is where most of us start. I was clueless, the dollar didn't mean much to me because I had nothing. Then the need for an apartment came along and then the need for furniture and the list of needs started to snowball.

How do you handle the needs with no money?

Well I had nothing and I needed everything, I financed my furniture with a 0% interest for the first six months and made sure that it was paid off within that six months.  I actually ended up paying it off within three months because I could not stand the idea of having debt, almost all of my take home pay was put towards the loan until I had it paid off. The point is stay away from any debt or interest on debt as best as you can. And DO NOT start new debt while having current debt! You will lose.

One last comment is that I never really felt as though I owned my furniture until I paid it off.  That first Sunday football game with MY couch felt really nice.

This is one of my many experiences I think we all can take a little something from. Follow my upcoming posts for more experiences and other little tid-bits that can work well to keep our game faces on for saving money. I will also be sharing experiences others have had that helped them be more money conscious.

Share your story.
Happy Savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers